My wish list…
Last updated: February 6, 2019
I look for books that delight readers, that help inspire wonder and imagination, that foster deep empathy and compassion for our fellow human beings, that provide rich character representation of marginalized people groups, that take the reader on an adventure, that uncover fascinating stories from history’s footnotes, that explore issues of faith and how to apply Christ’s teachings to our own life, that celebrate women and the female experience, that ask nitty gritty questions and don’t settle for easy answers, that make people disappointed when they have to close the book and go to bed, and books that add a touch of magic to readers’ lives.
What I represent, in general:
- Picture books
- Middle Grade
- Young Adult
- Gift/coffee table books
- Adult Nonfiction
- Christian Living
- Graphic Novels (MG/YA)
- In 2019 I’m particularly wanting to sign more picture book author/illustrator clients, graphic novelists, and diverse voices in general! I’m also eager for a fun YA Rom Com.
- I’m particularly hungry for humor right now! Please make me laugh. 🙂
- I LOVE books with a magical or surreal feel to them (See The Night Gardener, The Antlered Ship, Ocean Meets Sky, Owl Moon, The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore for reference.)
- Stories that celebrate the ordinary magic of everyday life: moments like capturing fireflies, making bread, watching a bird murmuration, the Northern Lights, planting a seed and having it grow into a living plant, and so on.
- Pop science, or exploring something peculiar that happens in nature (unique/quirky animals, plants, etc.)
- Food + cooking + recipes (making a family recipe)
- A story from history’s footnotes
- Foster family, adoption, or any sort of blended, non-traditional family structure
- Anything that loops in Mexican culture in particular (recipes, traditions, etc.)
- Story ft. Native American family (#OwnVoices)
- House-cleansing or blessing ceremonies/traditions
- Spooky (See How to Make Friends with a Ghost by Rebecca Green for my spooky book crush.)
- Girl power
- Quirky story about cats (very picky on these!)
- Would love a raccoon story. ❤
- Creative/artistic process (in the vein of Peter Reynolds’ The Dot, Ish)
- Bilingual (esp. Spanish/English)
- A story set in the Pacific Northwest! Would love something centered around PNW culture, like hiking, camping, etc. I’d like this to be written by someone who currently lives here, please!
- #OwnVoices stories in the vein of FRONT DESK by Kelly Yang
- Magical realism
- Graphic novels
- Historical fiction
- Mystery (esp. in the vein ofTHE DOLLHOUSE MURDERS)
- Take me on an adventure!
- Anything magic-tinged
- Multicultural slice of life
- Epistolary novel between two pen pals
- Romantic Comedy (esp. a biracial couple!) I love high concept Rom Coms as well.
- Thriller/Suspense (I loved ONE OF US IS LYING by Karen McManus)
- Contemporary realistic (particularly if it’s an #OwnVoices piece, or if it’s voice-y/in the vein of Robyn Schneider/John Green)
- Graphic novels
- Magical Realism (I loved THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER by Leslie Walton)
- Mystery (I am loving the TRULY DEVIOUS series by Maureen Johnson)
- Anything CREEPY. I love anything with a horror or Gothic element.
- #OwnVoices slice of life
- I would LOVE a Romance set in the Seattle grunge scene
- I love books with a very atmospheric setting—boarding school, lighthouse, forest, things like that.
ADULT BOOKS (PRIMARILY NONFICTION/LIFESTYLE/GIFT BOOKS):
- Anything centered around linguistics
- Pop science
- Citizen science
- Pop psychology
- Photography books (especially would love something funny + clever, in the vein of The Art of Clean Up)
- Books that tow the line between lifestyle + cookbook (books like Scandinavian Gatherings, Fika: The Art of the Swedish Coffee Break, How to Hygge, The Year of Cozy, etc.)
- I’d especially love a lifestyle/cookbook based around a concept like Fika/Hygge, except from a non-Scandinavian culture.
- Guidebook for how to live a fair trade lifestyle
- Guidebook/workbook for self-care
- Quirky/novelty gift books/coffee table books
- Drone photography book
- Interactive journals
- Poetry with a visual element attached
- I’m on the hunt for a funny Christian PB!
- PB that explores joy in a fun, non-preachy way
- PB about baptism
- PB that explores tangible ways of how we can live like Christ did (without being preachy!)
- Devotionals: for dating couples, women, teen girls, kids, creatives
- Devotionals with interactive elements
- Interactive journals
NOT QUITE MY CUP OF TEA:
- Sports stories
- Space operas
- Super hero stories
- Amish Fiction
- Angel/Demon narratives
- Epic Fantasy
- Stories with a “dreamscape” element